Creating a new Translation project includes several steps, each described below.
1. Click on the "Projects" tab on the main menu
2. Click on the "" symbol in the projects submenu. Hold the mouse over the symbol (don not click!), and a comment will appear ("Add a new project").
3. The "Add New Project" page should appear. Here you can fill out the project base data, consisting of project purpose, customer etc.
4. Choose an appropriate project name, describing the project purpose in 3-10 words. You don not need to mention the customer, because the customer is handled separately.
5. Fill in a unique Project Number. A default Project Number is generated by the system, consisting of the current year plus the project count for this year.
The format of the project number can be customized to suit the conventions of your company..
Project # *
6. Chose a client from the list of active clients.
You can define a new customer on the fly if it does not exist yet. The icon leads you to the Client Creation Page if you have the permission to access customer.
The drop-down box only shows active clients. "Potential" clients and clients in other presales states are not shown. You may want to go to the clients section to change the status of your client.
7. Chose a project manager list of project managers.
The list of available project types depends on your specific system configuration. You can define new Project Types yourself if you have administration rights. The icon leads you to the Category Administration Page.
Project Type *
9. Chose a Project Status or leave the default status "Open" if you want to start with the project.
The list of available project stati depends on your specific system configuration. You can define new Project Stati yourself if you have administration rights. The "" icon leads you to the Category Administration Page.
Project Status *
10. (]project-translation[ only): Choose Source and Target languages. The language codes follow ISO conventions, consisting of a two-letter language ID in lower case, followed by a two-letter country ID in upper case.
You can select more then one target language for a project. On Windows systems, please hold the "Ctrl"-key pressed while clicking on the desired language IDs.
You can only select a single source language. You have several options in the case that your translation projects consists of more then one source language: You may leave the source language field blank or you may split your project into two or more subprojects per language.
The source and target languages serve to create a directory structure for the project, depending on the Project Type. Please see below for more details.
Source Language *
11. (]project-translation[ only): Choose a Subject Area that best suits your translation project.
12. Fill in Start and End Dates and press the "Create Project" button.
Effects of Creating a New Project
Step 12 initiates several actions:
It creates a new project that appears in
Create a number of folders in the file system depending on the Project Type.
Add the current user as an administrator (owner) of the new project
Add the project manager as an administrator of the new project
Send an email notification to the project manager, informing him about the new project.
A folder structure is created as a function of the project type and other parameters. The figures below show prototypical structures being created
Example of a structure for an "IT-Consulting" project:
Example of a file structure created for a "Trans+Edit+Proof" translation project from English ("en") to German ("de"): There is one source folder ("source_en") and one trans/edit/proof/deliv folder for each target language.